Sunday 5 February 2017

Magazine Drafts





I have produced my first draft for my magazine cover, double page spread and contents page. I still have a lot of requirements starting from taking my own original pictures and including several elements on the magazine. I have not included a skyline and there are missing cover lines in my magazine cover. The image on my magazine cover is of an audience rap idol which is a leading point for when I take my own images. 

Front cover:

Masthead - The masthead is conventionally situated at the top of the magazine cover. This allows the target audience to instantly recognise the name of the magazine and become aware of the sub-genre. 'Rap Sensation' is the largest font on the cover which emphasises its importance as it is the first thing the audience will notice. This appeals to the audience as they will feel that the masthead is demanding them to read the magazine.

Colour Scheme - The colour scheme of black, yellow and white sets a luxurious tone as they stand out and connote jewellery. The colour scheme is similar to a 'Hip Hop Connection' that I analysed which attracts a similar target audience. The colours are conventional to rap music as it is known to promote this type of lifestyle, involving jewellery and luxury. The colours also directly appeal to a male target audience as they are normally interested in these types of colours, which are distinctive in a dark background. I have not finalised the colour scheme as my images may not blend as well as the image used in the draft.

Main cover line - The main cover line is of the artist's name. This is effective in presenting to the audience the main focus of the magazine, which will appeal to them as they will be interested in a new rap artist. 

Cover lines - The cover lines highlight the main content inside the magazine which is conventional to a rap magazine. This appeals to the audience as they will be notified about the content and will thus be interested. I still have to include more cover lines to further attract my target audience as it will notify them about more content. 

Puffs - I have included a puff highlighting a 'free CD voucher'. This appeals to the audience as they will be interested at the prospect of a free feature which will encourage them to buy the magazine. This is conventional to a rap magazine, as puffs highlight a special content that is included, which will relate to the target audience. In this case, they will be interested in a free CD because they follow rap music. I can still include more puffs to further grab the audience's attention.

Skyline - I have not included anything in the skyline, but I intend to do so. This will be conventional to a rap magazine as it will identify some of the main content in the magazine which will be appealing to the target audience.

Main Image - I have taken an image from the internet, which will serve as a leading point for my own images. The image is conventional to a rap magazine as it is of a famous rap artist, which the target audience will be able to identify instantly and will be appealed to it. The main image is supposed to be a representation of my ideal reader, which is something I will try to do in my own images.

Barcode - The barcode is located in the bottom right which is conventional to any music magazine as the audience will instantly identify it. This will appeal to the target audience in presenting the issue date, and the price which is something they will look far when trying to buy the magazine.

Font type - I have to deploy a different font type which will better connote rap music and appeal further to the audience.






Double page spread:

Colour Scheme - The colour scheme in my double page is different from my magazine cover. This is because I felt  a black background will not attract the audience to read an interview. I will have to change my magazine cover to suit my double page spread in order to deploy a consistency for my house style. The colour scheme of red, black, white is more stylish and is conventional as it deploys a 'swagger' which is associated with rap music. This appeals to the audience as the colours will lure them to read the text. 

Text - The text is located on the left hand side of the double page spread which is conventional because people traditionally read from the left. I have left a blank space on the right side for my image which will show the audience who the interview is about and will appeal to them.

Pull quote - I need to include a pull quote to further entice the reader with a key phrase which will appeal to the audience.

Gutter - The gutter which I have deployed allows for a tidy presentation of the interview which appeals to the audience, as they are not put off by the text. The gutter is conventional as it creates a sense of professionalism and makes the magazine look classy. There is also a red banner at the top and bottom of the left page, which makes it look more compact and neat.

Drop Caps - I have included drop caps at the start of each question to further inject an elegance about my double page spread.

Pugs - I have included a pug on the right hand side corner to tease the reader about an upcoming event involving the artist. This appeals to the audience as they will be even more interested. 

Page Number - The page number is located in the bottom left hand side and the bottom right hand side of either page. This is highly conventional to my rap magazine, as most magazines use the same layout involving the page number.

Title - The title is of the artist's name which puts the focus on him. This makes the artist seem authoritative and prestige due to the simple title which will interest the target audience. The title is the biggest text in the double page spread which grabs the readers attention. This is conventional as it makes clear for the audience the topic of the interview, which is the artist in this case.

Sub-heading - The sub-heading boasts an exclusive interview with the magazine artist which interests the reader as they will wonder why they are so hyped. 




















Contents Page:

Main cover line - The main cover line is conventionally located at the centre of the page and at the top. It is the biggest text which is conventional because it identifies what page it is on the magazine. This appeals to the target audience as they will understand where they have to look to gain information about the content of the magazine. 

Main features - The main features direct the audience to the key content in the magazine which they will be appealed to. 

The house style is continued on from the double page spread. I have included a banner at the top and bottom of the page as well. The colour scheme is also continued from the double page spread analysis, which is something that I will utilise in my final magazine cover to deploy a consistency throughout. There is a message from the editor which appeals to the audience as they will feel involved and will be encouraged to buy more issues. 

I need to include my own images in the contents page to make it more conventional and appealing to the audience. I will also add more content .



6 comments:

  1. Good work Arlind. This draft is looking very good. The composition is effective and so is the colour scheme chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to take original images for your magazine design and consider this draft when working on those images (think of the composition and colour used in this draft) We made another one in which we used a different colour background. Post that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are the drafts for the contents page and double page?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must start considering the use of font types according to your font type research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have posted the drafts for the contents page and double page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have taken the original images and have posted my final production. I have altered the composition and colour from magazine cover draft. I have also used the font types according to my font type research.

    ReplyDelete

Photography commentary